In February of 2018, Commercial Liability Partners (CLP) purchased the retired 1,443 acre site of the Walter C. Beckjord 1,500 MW coal-fired power plant in New Richmond, Ohio, with plans to repurpose much of the property for future development.
“We’ve pursued an outcome that will advance the county’s priorities with regard to safeguarding the environment and revitalizing the property and we’re pleased that this historic property is poised for a second act as an integral part of our community.”Jim Henning, President of Duke Energy Ohio and Kentucky
Under theterms of the sale, CLP is managing groundwater monitoring, abatement, decommissioning, demolition of the facility and additional environmental needs. CLP and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) are working together to determine final environmental plans for the site, which includes the station and surrounding coal ash ponds.
- Remediation currently in process – clean closing A pond
- Capping in place ponds B, C, and E extension
- Closing 5 major ash piles and existing landfill.
- Demolition of three CT units completed, various outbuildings
- Decommissioning of units 1–6
- Abatement 80 % complete to date.
- All remaining demo completed in 13 months.
- Redevelopment plans for port terminal and industrial park.